The 15 Most Popular Video Games of All Time (2023)
Video games have come a long way since their inception in the 1970s. From the early arcade games to the latest console and PC games, the video game industry has grown exponentially. With so many games to choose from, it can be difficult to determine which ones are the most popular of all time. In this article, we will take a look at the 15 most popular video games of all time, spanning multiple generations and platforms. From classic arcade games to modern masterpieces, these games have stood the test of time and continue to be enjoyed by players of all ages.
The 15 Most Popular Video Games of All Time
(click on a game title to learn much more about it)
- PUBG: Battlegrounds (originally released in 2017) – 1.2 billion users
- Dungeon Fighter Online (2016) – 850 million
- QQ Speed / GKART / Speed Drifters (2010) – 700 million
- Crossfire (2007) – 670 million
- Tetris (1984) – 520 million
- Among Us (2018) – 500 million
- Mini World (2015) – 400 million
- Crazyracing Kartrider (2004) – 380 million
- Fortnite (2017) – 350 million
- Fantasy Westward Journey (2001) – 310 million
- RuneScape (2001) – 300 million
- Candy Crush Saga (2012) – 273 million
- MapleStory (2003) – 260 million
- Roblox (2005) – 202 million
- Rules of Survival (2017) – 200 million
A few notes to this list:
- Some of these player totals come directly from the publishers while others come from third party sources like industry reports. These number represent the best data I can find, but I don’t guarantee it to be 100% accurate.
- It should also be noted that these number represent player totals, not sales. Free games with hundreds of millions of users like Fortnite appear here, but you won’t see a uber-popular game like Minecraft here because it isn’t free so its user base is “only” around 170 million. Those popular video games will appear on a list like The 20 Best Selling Games of All Time instead.
There you have it- The 15 Most Popular Video Games of All Time. I will be updating this list in the future as new blockbuster games are launched and user data becomes available, so be sure to check back soon!