Video Games Released in 1978
Last Updated on: April 21st, 2023
1978 in Review:
1978 was an important year in the history of video games as it saw the release of several notable games and the emergence of important industry trends. Here are some key events and developments that took place in the video game industry in 1978:
- Space Invaders: The release of the game “Space Invaders” by Taito in Japan in 1978 marked a major turning point in the history of video games. The game became a massive hit and popularized the concept of arcade gaming worldwide.
- Atari’s dominance: Atari was already a major player in the video game industry by 1978, but this year saw the company cement its dominance with the release of games like “Asteroids” and “Yar’s Revenge”.
- Console wars: The first major console war broke out in 1978 between Atari and its main competitor, Magnavox, which released the Odyssey 2 console this year.
- Home gaming: While arcade gaming was still the primary focus of the industry in 1978, this year saw a growing interest in home gaming, with companies like Atari and Magnavox releasing home consoles and games.
- Computer gaming: The growth of computer technology in the late 1970s also led to the emergence of computer gaming, with games like “Adventure” and “Zork” becoming popular among computer enthusiasts.
Overall, 1978 was a pivotal year in the history of video games, setting the stage for the industry’s explosive growth in the years to come.
Video Games Released in 1978:
Here is our enormous collection of video games released in 1978 and detailed information on each. As always, new games are added to this collection regularly.
Click on a game listing to find out much more about it.